Come all you faithful, and during this season of the Fast let us perform the works of God. Let us walk honestly throughout the day. Let us cast away any evil intention against our neighbor and not place any cause of stumbling in their path. Let us put aside the pleasures of the flesh during these holy days and strive to increase the spiritual gifts within our soul. Let us offer help to those in need, seeing Christ in their faces, as we cry out in repentance, “O God, have mercy on us.”
DAILY MEMORY VERSE
Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools suffers harm. (Proverbs 13:20)
DAILY SCRIPTURAL READING (During Great Lent we are reading through Genesis and Proverbs)
Genesis 7:1-15 (Vespers, 1st reading)
- Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation.
- “You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female;
- “also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
- “For after seven more days I will cause it to rain on the earth forty days and forty nights, and I will destroy from the face of the earth all living things that I have made.”
- And Noah did according to all that the Lord commanded him.
- Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters were on the earth.
- So Noah, with his sons, his wife, and his sons’ wives, went into the ark because of the waters of the flood.
- Of clean animals, of animals that are unclean, of birds, and of everything that creeps on the earth,
- two by two they went into the ark to Noah, male and female, as God had commanded Noah.
- And it came to pass after seven days that the waters of the flood were on the earth.
- In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
- And the rain was on the earth forty days and forty nights.
- On the very same day Noah and Noah’s sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and Noah’s wife and the three wives of his sons with them, entered the ark –
- they and every beast after its kind, all cattle after their kind, every creeping thing that creeps on the earth after its kind, and every bird after its kind, every bird of every sort.
- And they went into the ark to Noah, two by two, of all flesh in which is the breath of life.
Proverbs 8:32-9:11 (Vespers, 2nd reading)
- “Now therefore, listen to me, my children, for blessed are those who keep my ways.
- Hear instruction and be wise, and do not disdain it.
- Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
- For whoever finds me finds life, and obtains favor from the Lord;
- but he who sins against me wrongs his own soul; all those who hate me love death.”
- Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars;
- she has slaughtered her meat, she has mixed her wine, she has also furnished her table.
- She has sent out her maidens, she cries out from the highest places of the city,
- “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!” as for him who lacks understanding, she says to him,
- “Come, eat of my bread and drink of the wine I have mixed.
- Forsake foolishness and live, and go in the way of understanding.
- He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself, and he who rebukes a wicked man only harms himself.
- Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
- give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
- For by me your days will be multiplied, and years of life will be added to you.”
Conclude your time with God by taking 5 minutes to sit quietly and pray the Jesus Prayer – “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me the Sinner.”